More than three decades ago Shri Vikramsinh Ghatge had realized that a cooperative sugar mill in the area around Kagal could change life of the people, especially in view of the then upcoming Kalammawadi Irrigation Project. His idea was widely welcomed, and with enormous support from the local people, he was made Chief Promoter of the new sugar mill.
He successfully brought his dream into reality and the Mill started in 1980.
As a result of Shri Ghatges’s able guidance and vision today the Mill has established itself as a leading cooperative sugar mill, not only in Maharashtra, but in the entire country. It is today known for its excellent technical and financial efficiency and for paying the highest price to the cane growing farmers.
Shri Vikramsinh Ghatge’s contribution was not limited to the activities of the Mill alone. He contributed significantly to a number of social causes. A lover of wrestling and other sports, Shri Ghatge generously supported young sportsmen.
He was associated with a number of organizations in cooperative sector and was also actively involved in those engaged in social work, sports promotion and cultural activities.
Activities in Co-operative Sector:
- He founded Shree Chhatrapati Shahu Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana Kagal and remained Chairman of the Organization till his sad demise in April 2015.
- He was Chairman of Maharashtra State Federation of Cooperative Sugar Factories, Mumbai (2005 to 2006)
- He was Chairman of Shree Chhatrapati Shahu Krishi Sahakari Kharedi Vikri Sangh Ltd Kagal
- He was Member, Sugar Development Council, Government of India, New Delhi
- He held Directorship of Kagal Cooperative Bank Ltd. Kagal
- He as Founder of Shree Chhatrapati Shahu Milk and Agro Producer Pvt.Ltd.,Vhannur.
He held the following positions in his life time in the Education Sector:
- Chairman, Sir Pirajirao Ghatge Physical Education Charitable Trust. Kolhapur
- Chairman, Siddheshwar Shikshan Prasarak Mandal Siddhanerli)
- Chairman, Kagal Education Trust, Murgudl
- Chairman, Shree Shahu Shikshan Prasarak Mandal Kagal
- He was Member of the Maharashtra State Legislative Assembly (MLA) in two terms during the period 1978 to 1985